The TCRC annually awards scholarships to local runners in their final year of high school. Awards are for educational expenses at accredited colleges. College scholarships are offered to male and to female runners. The TCRC awarded four $1000 scholarships in 2012 and has awarded $18,000 over the last seven years for these scholarships.
Eligibility criteria are:
- Graduating senior pursuing higher education at a 2 or 4 year accredited college
- High School participation in varsity cross country and/or varsity long distance track events (1500 meters and higher for women, 1600 meters and higher for men)
- Currently living in the Triple Cities area (Broome or adjacent county in New York) or a TCRC member
Selection is based on academic achievement, running accomplishments, community service, financial resources, and recommendations from coaches.
The TCRC solicits nominations for these awards in the spring of each year, and awards are made during the high school commencment period. The 2013 application will be posted soon.
2013 Application in Portable Document Format (pdf)
2013 Application in Word format.
These scholarship awards are partially funded by the Pete Keyes Turkey Trot 8K, held on Thanksgiving Day. See the TCRC Race Calendar for further details.
Previous winners of the TCRC scholarships are:
- June 2012 - The TCRC awarded $1,000 scholarships to
Alicia Sutphin, Vestal High School;
John Mooney, Norwich High School;
Ian Tolan, Binghamton High School; and
Corey Wasilnak, Maine-Endwell High School.
- June 2011 -
The TCRC awarded $1,000 scholarships to
Cal Michaels, Vestal High School;
Chad Noelle, Greene High School;
Sarah Krizan, Chenango Forks High School;
and Sydney Williams, Susquehanna Valley High School.
- June 2010 - The TCRC awarded $500 scholarships to David Bates, Windsor High School; Emily Burchill, Seton Catholic Central High School; Trevor Bender, Union-Endicott High School; and Andrea Prusik, Union-Endicott High School.
- June 2009 -
The TCRC awarded $500 scholarships to
Megan Jacoby, Maine - Endwell High School;
Jessica Spellane, Vestal High School;
Jeffrey Martinez, Johnson City High School;
and Steven Spittler, Norwich High School.
- June 2008 - The TCRC awarded $500 scholarships to Kati Holowacz, Bainbridge - Guilford High School; Megan Cordi, Maine - Endwell High School; Danielle Brenon, Maine - Endwell High School; and Stephen Gaug,
Vestal High School.
- June 2007 - The TCRC awarded $500 scholarships to G.J. Gerner, Vestal High School;
Michael Doane, Marathon High School; Ashley Horton, Candor High School; and Kelly Billingiere, Harpursville High School.
- June 2006 - The TCRC awarded $500 scholarships to Chris Gaube, Vestal HS; James Woidt, Binghamton HS; Colleen Spring, Seton Catholic HS; and Amy Williams, Windsor HS.